I’ve been lucky enough to play escape rooms in Vienna on three separate occasions (Feb 2017, Dec 2017 and March 2019) and played over 30 rooms in the city at some of the most highly recommended establishments. This post pulls together the various articles I’ve published (links below) with my recommendations.
The list of games to play was compiled with advice from the awesome Two Bears Life, the writers of the only review site I could find that covered Vienna, opinions from Viennese owners on other games to try and, where all else failed, painstaking combing of the Trip Advisor pages. My overall experience was that the quality of the games in the city was OK – around 20 of the ones we played were decent games (although, obviously, we were very careful to choose what we considered the best options!). The standard of English was high at virtually all the locations.
I’d encourage you to read the individual articles linked below but, if you don’t have the time or the inclination and you’re just looking to play three or four games, I’d recommend the following:
- Crime Runners: Going Underground. Without a doubt this is the best experience in the city and one of the best games I’ve played.
- Crime Runners: Episode 3. While you’re there, Episode 2 is also well worth a visit from an enthusiast point of view because of its full-on immersion.
- Time Busters: The Mine. A big beautiful game with great decoration.
It really is worth reading the individual articles, though – there’s more detail on each of the games above that you’ll probably find useful. Note also that someone who visited Vienna and played many of the games has written up their thoughts in the comments below – well worth a read for a second opinion and for some of the rooms I didn’t play.
Detailed reviews for each of the venues and games:
- Crime Runners
- Crime Runners: Going Underground
- Time Busters
- Real Escape Wien [now closed]
- Fox in a Box (now reopened as Locks and Clocks)
- Exit the Room Wien
- MindX [now closed]
- From a later visit: Open the Door
That’s all, folks
I hope you found this write-up useful. If you did, then please let me know via email, and that will encourage me to write more in future. If you’ve got opinions on the above or, equally, if you’ve found some other gems that people should take a look at, do drop a comment below.